Monday, January 26, 2009

The Church is True, in case you didn't know‏

Dear Family,

Sounds like everyone is doing great back home! Thats so cool about Riley being a Life already. Crazy lil boy. Lots of stuff seems to be happening back home. Thanks for the cookies (in advance). Thats awesome to hear about Elder Jensen being AP. I wish we could go on an exchange, it would be so cool. Congrats to Heather and Bruce and grandparents Russ and Suzanne.

Well, we had an interesting week. Actually just a really interesting Sunday. You asked about Juana's baptism. Everything went as planned. She was there. The baptismal clothes were there. The font held water. Even Elder Barney's pants still fit him. Lots of the sisters and members were there. The refreshments were great too. Now the twist. So Elder Barney was in the water. Being so focused on getting her name right (Juanita Reyes Camacho), Elder Barney confuddled himself and sayed the prayer as found in 3 Nephi 11:25 (not Doctrine and Covenants 20:73), due to having read it so many times. He immersed her in the water, but her sins remained. He didn't realize he had said it wrong immediately, I didn't either and I was one of the witnesses. And the member of the Bishopric didn't catch either as the other witness. So we didn't catch it until afterwards, until we were already driving away, being the last ones to leave. It didn't feel right either. I couldn't see the change in her face. We baptized her with water, but it didn't count. Just for switching two or three words, the Holy Spirit of Promise wasn't there. The ordinance was void. The bad thing was we didn't catch our goof-up until after the fact. We called President Smith to check to see if we had to do it again and he said yes.

So. Tonight we are going to baptize her for reals. Last night we went over to talk to her and tell her and she told us the she didn't feel anything either. Just through our feelings we could tell that the baptism wasn't done right. So just us, her and the member of the bishopric and his wife are coming tonight to redo it. Its pretty embrassing and really dumb we didn't catch it while we were all there. We learned a lot from it though. More than anything it has strengthened my testimony of the truthfulness of the this church and work. The Lords has revealed a set way to baptize and its must be done that way. His kingdom is built upon set laws. From just three or four words, the Holy Ghost wasn't there to testify to us that it was a real and valid ordinance that will count here on earth as well as in the heavens and for eternities. I could tell deep inside that something wasn't right afterwards. The spirit kept nudging and telling me that it wasn't done correctly. We finally figured it out and planned everything for today. I know tonight she will feel the remision of sins and the good feeling that accompanies an ordinance of God that is done with authority and correctly. Pretty crazy, huh?

We had a really good week though. Some investigators came to church for the first time and some of the ones we've been working with for a long time are showing real signs of progressing. On Sunday we also taught Relief Society about missionary work and how to invite your friends to family nights, dinners with the missionaries, or church activities. It went really well and I think it will help them to know how to do missionary work. All of the sisters know they need to do missionary work but aside from feeding us they don't know how to 'do' missionary work. Its exciting to help them learn and practice.

On Friday I was on an exchange with Elder Gifford, he's been out for like 3 weeks in the field. And we worked the English area and were on bikes. We were riding and these ladies stopped us and started talking to us asking what we were doing. They said we looked like Jehovah Witnesses on bikes. We told them who we were and they asked us who God was for us. They got out of the car and started asking us questions. We explained God the Father, his Son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. They were in a hurry and we set up an appointment for the next day. It was so cool to see the Lord put us in the right place, right time to give someone the opportunity to find the truth.

Well I've written a lot. More than anything I want you to know that I know that the Church is true. It is the Kingdom of God on Earth. The Holy Ghost is the messenger that testifies to us of the Father and the Son. I hope and pray that all is well with all ya'll. I love you and miss you and hope you can do the things that will keep you close to our Heavenly Father.

Love,
Elder Wagner

PS. I heard the out in Eastern Texas you can buy grilled squirrel. I can't wait :)

5 comments:

Mamawags said...

The Wagners LOVE when readers leave a comment... so please, please let us know you're reading!! :)

Anonymous said...

i'm reading them.... aha. i just never know what to say after them. besides that i won't be able to look elder wagner in the eye if he eats a squirrel.

Anonymous said...

Okay--there are tons of squirrels here in Napa --most of them are sleeping in the middle of the streets--but I havent seen any served up on a plate!! Oh Kevin!! I am anxious to here about the 2nd baptism!! We are so proud of Kevin--Love, Aunt Cathy

Anonymous said...

BTW, we do know too!!!

Mamawags said...

YES!!! Thanks for commenting! I'm with you Eliza... I don't know if I'll be able to look him in the eye either. But... you can't look at Riley any more because he ATE A SQUIRREL!!!