Monday, August 9, 2010

So much to do, So little TIME!

Dear Family,

The title says a lot about how I feel. We are being blessed with many people to teach and I don't want to have to leave them all. However, such is life.

By the way, Texas is really hot in the summer.

Here are a few signs that mean my mission is coming to a close:

1. I no longer own white shirts, for they are not white, they are threadbare, stained and yellow-gray.
2. My bike tire tread is wearing down.
3. I have an amazing collar tan line.
4. My shoes are finally starting to show some wear. (they were really nice shoes)
5. When I left on my mission, George W. Bush was the president.


Anyways, there are constant reminders that my mission is coming to a close. Mostly, I feel so grateful for this time the Lord gave me to serve. Words can't describe the many testimonies and miracles I've received. Now I know why the Lord wants every young man to prepare and serve a two year mission. The Gospel means so much more to me now.

Yesterday we had an awesome day. PEC meeting at 8am was great (I'm in an awesome ward). A less-active family we've been working with for several months came to church (a mom and her three young daughters). It was sweet!!! She has a ten year old who wants to get baptized. The two little girls (3&4 yrs old) were looking around after church saying, "Where are the missionaries?". We shook their hands and said goodbye. You should have seen the smiles on their faces.

Another family came to church for the first time since we've been here. The wife isn't a member but she came. We are going to start teaching them the lessons tomorrow. I'm pumped!!!

During the third hour Caleb Michaelis received the Aaronic Priesthood. His wife watched and I though to myself how awesome it was that her and her daughter now have the priesthood in the home. Caleb is loving church and the gospel.

After church we tried to visit a couple less-actives, but no one was home. We had like forty minutes so we tracked this street. It was uneventful except for the return appointment we got with a Hispanic family. The 20 year old daughter answered the door and I explained what we do. As I spoke her mom came from behind and told her in Spanish that she should listen to us and learn more because it is good. The daughter 'translated' for us, but little do they know we both speak Spanish. Muhahaha. Anyways she told us to come back and share more about the plan of salvation.

Dinner was good with two of the young married couples in the ward. We had lasagna which is always good. After we stopped by an investigator who wasn't home and we didn't know what to do next. I had the crazy thought to try a part member family that hadn't been answering our calls and we hadn't seen in two weeks. It was crazy because it was like a twenty minute bike ride from where we were at the time in the opposite direction of our apartment. (it was like 7:40 ish) We did it anyways and guess what, they were there!!! We set up a return apt for next week (the 20th) and I had to break it to them that I wouldn't be there. I got to bear my testimony to them and leave their house with a prayer. It was very cool.

So I've rambled a lot but a long story short is that missionary work is awesome. I can't wait to lure all my unsuspecting friends and acquaintances into meeting with the missionaries. It will be exciting.

Tell Uncle Paul and Aunt Susan that I love and pray for them. I hope all goes well.

God Bless and see you soon.

Love
Elder Kevin Wagner

PS. I will be emailing next Monday too. To send the bike home is 70 dollars so don't worry if it is no longer in my account.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Hey nephew--you are awesome and I am just a little sad that I will not be reading your letters every week--oh wait--when you get home there will be one more Wagner to write Elder Z Wagner--okay--I said I was just a little sad....but it has been great to read your letters--they have been inspiring!! We love you Kevin!!