Monday, March 15, 2010

Poor, poor Elder Bice

Hi family!

So I'll explain the panda blanket. Last year it was the last day I had in Nacogdoches and a member gave me that blanket. I was so surprised I didn't know what to do with it. So I kept it with me. I would use it on exchanges and in Longview I used it at my comforter when our heater broke. Since winter is over here in Texas, and the case the blanket came in was broken, I sent it home. Pretty sweet blanket, but it sheds fluff; so be careful. After I taped up the box I realized I should have explained what it was.

Our second week in Grand Prairie was better. Saturday, Ricardo got baptized and confirmed Sunday. The difference in his countenance for Saturday before the baptism and Sunday after church was pretty incredible. He looked like a completely different person. Today we are going to make him a cake since its his birthday.

Elder Bice is great. He is easy-going and full of desire. On Friday we had interviews with President Smith. Sister Smith as usual gave a training. It was on 'worrying'. So I realized that I have a bad habit of worrying about this that don't matter or that I can't change. She said that often we worry ourselves sick and miserable. My interview with President Smith was really good and comforting. I understand better why I'm here and why I'm training again. After interviews we ate at a little taqueria in a gas station with the other missionaries of the zone.

That would prove fateful.Saturday morning Elder Bice awoke to stomach pains and the 'turnsies.' Use your imagination to understand what that means. He was pretty sick. We got picked up by a member who helped us make the baptismal program. He dropped us off at some apartments about a mile from the church. We visited some people but Elder Bice was really sick. He had a headache and was really nauseous.

So we went to a fast food place so I could eat something because I hadn't eaten lunch (we went to A&W). He drank some water and we went to the church. He crashed on the couch for the nest hour and a half. By now he had a fever, headache and nausea. I played the piano and started filling up the font. He survived the baptism but slept afterwards for the next 12 hours at least. He is getting better but still has a stomach ache. Don't worry I kept on him about drinking lots of fluids (aren't you proud dad?).

I love being a missionary. Saturday was sobering since it means I have 5 months left. The blessings of serving the Lord with all your time are great. I see how much I've learned and the people I've helped and it makes me so glad that I had parents, extended family, friends and leaders who made a full-time mission one of my goals. There is a young man in the branch who is my same age, 20, who isn't on a mission, isn't going to school, and isn't working. One of my goals is to get him on a mission while I'm here. He's a little bit older but that doesn't matter. There is nothing that can compare with serving a full-time mission. Military service, college, work won't change you the way a full-time mission will. I know thats true because its changed me.

Love,
Elder Wagner

No comments: